Gift? Check. Card? Check. Message? Uhhh. If you’re in this situation, you’re not alone. Some people have a knack for writing eloquent greeting card wishes, but there are those of us who go blank after “Happy Birthday” or “Congrats”. You could let the card speak for itself, but if you’re looking to add some personals words, our greeting card writing guide will help you create the perfect message to accompany your perfect gift.
Let’s start with a template that you can apply to any occasion:
Statement about the occasion. Sentence of endearment. Your wishes. Greeting.
What does each part mean? Let’s break it down:
Statement about the occasion: Comment on the special occasion and your recipient. This is where you can be a little humourous.
Sentence of endearment: Whether it’s humorous, romantic, silly, or serious, this is where you write from the heart and truly personalize your message. Not sure what to say? We’ll go over examples shortly.
Wishes: Special occasions involve celebration, and so, communicating your hopes and wishes is crucial. Keep them positive and encouraging.
Greeting: Pretty self-explanatory. End the message with the greeting for that occasion. It ties everything together.
Closing Word: It’s akin to your signature and serves as the cherry on top.
The template can be applied to any special occasion, but let’s go over some notable special occasions and examples.
Statement about the occasion:
- You two are finally hitched!
- It’s great to see two amazing people getting married!
- I wish I could be at the wedding to tell you how happy I am for you two!
Sentence of Endearment – complimenting the two newlyweds is a good idea:
- You two are absolutely beautiful together.
- Seeing you two step into the future together is inspiring.
- It’s such an honor to share in such a beautiful moment with you two!
Wishes – look to the future and offer support:
- Much love and best wishes always.
- May every day be happy for you as a couple
- Best wishes for a happy life together.
Closing Words: Much love to you both / All life’s best to the two of you
Statement about the occasion – If you’re writing to the couple, just keep it simple. If you’re writing to your spouse or partner, reaffirm your commitment:
- Always knew you two had something special.
- It’s been nothing but great memories and pure happiness with you.
- So happy we’re in this together.
Sentence of Endearment
If you’re writing to the couple, try talking about how the couple inspires you. If you’re writing to your spouse or partner, write about something personal to the two of you both. Talk about what makes them special or about your memories together. Don’t be afraid to be romantic or cheesy:
- Thanks for showing us year after year what true love looks like, and for setting a great example for me.
- Nothing in this world is perfect…but the two of you are as close as it gets!
- Ten years ago, you made me the happiest man on earth. I still consider myself lucky.
- All these years, you have been an amazing dad to our kids and an amazing husband.
- It’s been a tough year, but thank you for sticking by me through it all.
Wishes – Give optimism for the years to come:
- Cheers to another 10 happy years.
- I love you more every year.
Greeting: Happy 10th Anniversary! (Be sure to highlight any important milestones)
Closing Words: Love always / Love / Here’s to you two!
Statement about the occasion – this is a good spot to add personality to your greeting:
- You hit the big five-oh!
- Love that we’re getting older together, my friend.
- It’s been a pleasure working with you – don’t work too hard on your special day.
Sentence of Endearment – consider thanking them:
- Thank you for just being you, and bringing positivity to everyone.
- No matter how old I get, your hug is still the safest place in the world.
- Grateful for your friendship all these years!
- I hope you have a most memorable day. Can’t wait to celebrate.
- Hope it’s a 25th birthday to remember.
- Happy Birthday to the best mom in the world.
- Happy Birthday to the best friend a girl can have!
Closing Words: Birthday cheers / Lots of love / From the man who loves you
Statement about the occasion:
- So happy to spend another Christmas with you.
- Thinking of you this holiday season.
Sentence of Endearment – this is the perfect place to thank someone, especially if you know them in a professional setting.
- It’s the perfect season to express how much I appreciate your business.
- You make work a lot less like work.
- Having you in my life is the best gift I could have.
Give optimism for the New Year:
- Wishing you all the best in the year to come.
- Here’s to a joyful Christmas and a memorable 2018.
- May the magic and thrill of the holiday season be with you and your family.
Greeting: Merry Christmas!
Closing Words: Warmest wishes / Warmly / Love
We hope you find this guide useful for all your gift-giving occasions this year!
Have any ideas you’d like to share? Sound off on Facebook.